Cleaning your toilet is definitely not the most exciting thing that you look forward to, but since your toilet seat is one of the most used seats in your home it is necessary for hygiene and sanitary reasons. You need to make sure that it stays looking its best and prevent bacteria buildup.
Why Is Cleaning Your Toilet Regularly So Important?
A clean toilet is important for the overall health and you and your family. Different types of bacteria, viruses, and fungi can start to build up in your toilet. These can also spray into the rest of your bathroom with every flush.
These can cause:
- Breathing problems especially for people who might already suffer from it such as COPD and asthma.
- Intestinal distress caused by bacteria such as E. coli, salmonella, and many other bacteria and microorganisms.
To make your job easier we are going to tell you our favorite no-fail no germs left behind methods to sanitize your toilet and get your porcelain shining.
What You Would Need To Clean Your Toilet:
These are the things that you will need to get your toilet shining and germ-free.
- Start with a good quality tiff-bristle toilet brush. This is important because your brush will help you scrub out all the dirt and bacteria.
- You will also need your favorite disinfecting wipes. You can also use a sponge, reusable rag, or paper towel. Any of the above are completely fine to use.
- A toilet bowl cleaner it is important you pick one that is specially made for cleaning your toilet bowl.
- You will need a surface disinfectant to sanitize the outside of your toilet.
- You also need vinegar
- You need a pumice stone
- You would need a sturdy pair of gloves, so you are protecting your hands.
- You will also need a bucket
Once you have everything you are ready to get cleaning your toilet.
Clean The Toilet Bowl:
Whenever cleaning your toilet, you need to start with the toilet bowl. We have divided this into three easy steps.
1. Reduce The Water Level:
Reducing the water level ensures that your cleaner is not diluted. You can fill your bucket with half a gallon of water and put it in your toilet. This triggers the flushing action without adding any more water and reduces the water level.
2. Applying The Disinfectant To The Inside Of The Toilet Bowl:
Start by applying your toilet bowl disinfectant to the inside of your bowl under the rim. Allow the disinfectant to slide down the sides. You can let it sit for 10 minutes if you are trying to remove stubborn stains.
3. Scrub Thoroughly And Rinse:
Now the final step is scrubbing. Get your toilet brush inside the toilet bowl to prevent any splatter. Scrub thoroughly from under the lip and down, scrub in the drain. Once you are done you can just flush your toilet to rinse.
Clean And Disinfect The Tank And Handle:
Your toilet tank and handle might be one of the most overlooked spots when it comes to toilet cleaning.
- Start by emptying your tank. Turn off the water valve and drain your tank completely.
- If you only dirt and grime you can just clean it with the disinfectant. But if you see discoloration fill it with vinegar and allow it to sit for 12 hours. Then flush out the vinegar.
- Then spray some disinfectant and let it sit for about 15 minutes. After that, you can scrub to remove any leftover dirt.
- Wipe down the inside, outside, and handle of your tank.
- Turn your water back on and flush it a couple of times and you are done.
Clean The Rim And Base Of The Toilet:
If your rim after cleaning your toilet bowl still looks dirty and stained. You can use a pumice stone. This helps all kinds of stubborn stains, dirt, and grime. It is also safe to use on porcelain toilets. You need to be careful when using it though do not overdo it. Only do it once in a while to prevent any damage to your toilet.
To clean the base of the toilet, follow these easy steps:
- Spray the base of your toilet generously with disinfecting cleaning solution.
- Let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it away with a cleaning rag or a sponge.
- You can also use simple disinfecting wipes to disinfect the base of your toilet.
Clean The Seat And Lid:
Cleaning your toilet seat and lid is just as important as cleaning the rest of your toilet. If your seat and lid are not stained, then you use any disinfecting wipes and clean them. If your toilet seat or slid is stained. You can start by
- Spraying with disinfecting spray
- Let it sit for 10-15 mins
- Scrub using a sponge or soft bristle brush
How To Clean An Extremely Stained Toilet?
An extremely stained toilet is unsightly. The methods stated above might not be enough to clean your toilet. Your toilet might get stained due to hard water, mineral deposits, and the accumulation of dirt and grime.
Things You Will Need:
Here are steps we suggest cleaning stubborn toilet stains:
- Put in six denture cleaning tablets in your toilet and allow them to dissolve in your toilet bowl overnight. Then use a good quality toilet cleaning brush to scrub your toilet.
- Scoop out the water with an old ladle and discard it. Now heat six cups of vinegar then pour it into your toilet bowl covering the stains. Let the vinegar sit overnight and then scrub it the next day with a toilet cleaning brush.
- Now sprinkle some borax powder into your toilet bowl and cover the stains. You might need to remove some water if it is covering the toilet stains. Allow this to sit overnight and then scrub it the next day with a toilet cleaning brush.
- Scoop out the water with an old ladle. Mix equal parts baking soda and vinegar. Now apply this mixture using a rag on your toilet seat. Slowly pour a gallon of hot water and let it sit for at least an hour. After that, scrub it with a toilet cleaning brush.
- You can scrub away any remaining stains using a pumice stone. Keep your toilet wet and then scrub back and forth till the stains are gone.
Take The Step Towards A Cleaner And Safer Toilet:
Cleaning your toilet is not only important to prevent stains but the toilet can accumulate millions of bacteria, viruses, and fungi. These pathogens can stay on your toilet seat for weeks sometimes. These can make you and your family sick. You must disinfect your toilet regularly.
If you are looking for toilet cleaning and disinfecting experts contact Scrub Pros. We will help you clean your toilet without you having to do any work. Contact us today to get a free quote and book your appointment. Our cleaning experts in New Orleans will leave your toilets germ-free and shining just like new.